Saturday, May 22, 2010

How can I get a name to a yahoo e-mail address?

I have figured out to late that someone is running a e-mail scam on me and I think is trying to steal some propery from me by giving me a fake cashiers check and then after I cash it I'm to send him the remaining balance of the check and then he comes and gets my property. The check he sent was for 11,020 and my propery is 6,000. The remainder 5,000 I'm to send to the buyers movers so they can come and pick up the propery. I just dont trust this. I even e-mailed this guy and asked him for a phone number of the buyer, him or the moving company. I havent recieved an e-mail back yet!

How can I get a name to a yahoo e-mail address?
This is definitely a scam. It follows a pattern that's become very popular in the last year or two. Variations of it have been written up recently in papers and online. Here's how it works.





They insist on sending you a check for more than they owe you, then they ask you to send back the difference. Initially their check appears to clear, so you send them the difference. Then a few weeks later your bank discovers that their check was written on stolen check stock, it's not really going to clear, and they hold you liable for the entire amount. But you've already sent part of the money back to the scammers. You're out of luck. Even worse, you could be prosecuted for participating in a fraudulent check scheme.





Your chances of actually tracking down the perpetrators is very slim. They're hiding behind anonymous email addresses and protected offshore bank accounts.





But it's not too late for you to protect yourself. Just don't send them any money. If you've already cashed or deposited their check, go back to the bank and tell them you have reason to suspect that the check is no good, even though it may initially have cleared. I'm sure they'll work with you.





See Snopes.com for details of something similar.
Reply:use the yahoo's people search service.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive